Well Informed 2.0 - "Racism"
In the video Race Bating 101, Matthew Cooke does a great job describing different race stereotypes and discrimination that has been going on for hundreds of years. It's truly mind blowing how people treated other human beings (mainly the black population). I can't believe that people thought this type of behavior towards another person was acceptable. Cooke goes on to explain how Blacks faced many challenges. One main challenge being Jim Crow laws. These laws made life for blacks almost impossible. They were a very hurtful and discriminatory towards the black community. Cooke states, "This thing called Jim Crow just took over for slavery. Enforced by government, courts and law officers, forcing a continuation of an already well established racial caste system on every aspect of american life. Ministers said whites were the chosen people, blacks cursed to be servants, God supported racial segregation, craniologist's, phrenologists, and social Darwinist's at every educational level reinforced the belief that blacks were in every way inferior to whites" (Cooke).
For many blacks not only in the past, but also in today's world, racism plays a big role in their life. It's heartbreaking, really. Though I do believe time as well as new laws have helped improve relationships between blacks and whites. Thus, leading to less racism in our current world. For example the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This law "outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin" (Google Definition). Black power and black pride came along with the Civil Rights Act. Other contributing factors that have led to less discrimination and racism towards blacks include: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have A Dream Speech", movies like "Remember the Titans", "Hairspray" and "Hidden Figures, putting an end to segregation.
All humans, no matter their race, gender, etc... All humans are equal in my eyes. I believe racism will never fully go away, but we can do our part to treat others with love and respect no matter their skin color. We can treat everyone equally, not only because it's the right thing to do, but because it's the truth. I think one thing that helped with integration was time. People became better people, acknowledging that blacks are just as important as whites.
I found it extremely interesting how blacks sentencing in prison is generally longer than a white man for a similar crime. Matthew Cooke explains how "1/3 black man today can expect to go to prison in their lifetime." CRAZY! He then goes on to tell how the majority of the black community does not trust the justice system. When 1/3 of their race is imprisoned, it makes sense why.
What we need to do is figure out why this is happening. It's time to ask the tough questions. Are all of the arrests really from racism? I would guess some are, definitely not all though. How do we make our justice system more fair? Is our justice system bias towards whites? How can we create more opportunity for black individuals? Will more opportunity for black individuals create less crime? Does low income and or poverty play a contributing role in these arrests? Do blacks feel threatened by the justice system? What we need to do is figure out what is causing criminal behavior, then help change and support these black individuals. I think this would help not only decrease crime, but also help create a better community and life for people. I think the recently new movement "Black Lives Matter" has come from the injustice that they feel has been directed towards them through the United States.
"While less than 4% of our entire country are millionaires, they make up half of our members of Congress" Who do you think millionaires represent?" This poses an interesting proposition.
For many blacks not only in the past, but also in today's world, racism plays a big role in their life. It's heartbreaking, really. Though I do believe time as well as new laws have helped improve relationships between blacks and whites. Thus, leading to less racism in our current world. For example the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This law "outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin" (Google Definition). Black power and black pride came along with the Civil Rights Act. Other contributing factors that have led to less discrimination and racism towards blacks include: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have A Dream Speech", movies like "Remember the Titans", "Hairspray" and "Hidden Figures, putting an end to segregation.
All humans, no matter their race, gender, etc... All humans are equal in my eyes. I believe racism will never fully go away, but we can do our part to treat others with love and respect no matter their skin color. We can treat everyone equally, not only because it's the right thing to do, but because it's the truth. I think one thing that helped with integration was time. People became better people, acknowledging that blacks are just as important as whites.I found it extremely interesting how blacks sentencing in prison is generally longer than a white man for a similar crime. Matthew Cooke explains how "1/3 black man today can expect to go to prison in their lifetime." CRAZY! He then goes on to tell how the majority of the black community does not trust the justice system. When 1/3 of their race is imprisoned, it makes sense why.
What we need to do is figure out why this is happening. It's time to ask the tough questions. Are all of the arrests really from racism? I would guess some are, definitely not all though. How do we make our justice system more fair? Is our justice system bias towards whites? How can we create more opportunity for black individuals? Will more opportunity for black individuals create less crime? Does low income and or poverty play a contributing role in these arrests? Do blacks feel threatened by the justice system? What we need to do is figure out what is causing criminal behavior, then help change and support these black individuals. I think this would help not only decrease crime, but also help create a better community and life for people. I think the recently new movement "Black Lives Matter" has come from the injustice that they feel has been directed towards them through the United States.
"While less than 4% of our entire country are millionaires, they make up half of our members of Congress" Who do you think millionaires represent?" This poses an interesting proposition.
Comments
Post a Comment